A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mr. Yang and his students "got swag"

Happy leap year!
Today my students decided to celebrate the leap year by telling me something completely amazing... that I had what they called "swag".

For those you that teach middle or high school, I'm sure we know what "swag" means. My students CANNOT stop saying it. Literally, every other word my students say in conversations contains the word "swag".

"Swag" is usually a compliment to whoever is being referred to. For my students (the guys and the girls) to tell me that I had some "major swag" as their teacher warms my heart. I am honored to share that kind of respect with my students.

I also have reason to think that my students have "swag" as well. First of all, most of them have made tremendous turn arounds in their education and the progress they've made in school and in math. They also retain the material we learn as well! (I gave the kids a packet on Monday that was due today to help review what we've learned so far for the NYS. After grading 1st, 2nd and 3rd period's packets in my prep, I saw that they retained almost everything since September!) My students also have such a refreshing sense of humor and bring their bright, diverse personalities into the classroom everyday. They are HILARIOUS!

I wish I can hang on to these students forever. With every passing day, I can see the growth in maturity and education they are making. "Swag" is definitely reciprocal here. :)

Yesterday at parent-teacher conferences, the mother of one of the Four Gangstas promised me that she would try and intervene better in Shiloh's schoolwork. I am confident she will follow through. Her support can really help change Shiloh's attitude towards school.

I was actually suprised that more than 80% (!) of parents showed up to their conference yesterday. Inner city parents do care.

P.S. Yesterday between the last bell and the first conference, the teachers in my academy and I got our first try at Indian food in such a looongg time. The last time I had Indian food was in May... of LAST YEAR. Sooo good! (Curry in a Hurry on Lexington!)

No comments:

Post a Comment