A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Friday, February 17, 2012

Newsflash: hazing gets in the way of learning... and ruins Friday night plans

The whole dilemma with the "knockout kids" has gotten progressively worse. Acting as if this is the first time such a thing was discovered in my school, the discipline AP and my principal have decided to interrupt classes for THREE DAYS IN A ROW to try and correct the problem.

It has finally (finally!) come to the administration's attention that the "knockout kids" are violating the section in the student handbook titled "hazing".

So, on Wednesday, Ms. Lopez and Mr. O'Klay (the discipline AP) called all of the 7th and 8th graders down to the gym to have a talk about this - during 3rd and 4th periods. Therefore, my 3rd period class fell 1 period behind because of the unannounced assembly.

Seeing that the assembly didn't really help mediate the situation, Ms. Lopez and Mr. O'Klay tried again the next day (Thursday), in the morning - during 1st and 2nd periods. This time, I was assigned to help facilitate the "hazing activity" they planned. Personally, I thought the assembly was a success, but the administration did not.

Because 1st & 2nd periods missed class and 3rd period was 1 period behind, I only actually had to teach 1 class period on Thursday. We played hangman/elimination/watched Youtube in my 2 afternoon classes.  Sounds good, right? It was... until, at the end of the day, all teachers received an email saying that Mr. O'Klay would hold another assembly (for the entire school this time) in 2 time sessions: 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th periods.

As of today, I only saw my afternoon classes. We didn't do very much today either.

From what I've heard from my students and seen myself, the situation with the "knockout kids" hasn't gotten much better... even after the 3 ASSEMBLIES.

And to make matters worse, I have:
  • 5 classes of the same subject on 3 different timetables as a result of the hazing assemblies
  • 2 new students added to my roster with IEP's and a failing record from the school where they both transferred from that I'm responsible for
  • a parent-teacher conference with James' mom, Ms. Lopez and the guidance counselor after James received ANOTHER(!) "F" on a unit test... despite the combined 5 EXTRA HOURS OF HELP I've given him during the unit and before the test to help him prepare
Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend... but there's NO SCHOOL NEXT WEEK!!!! Mid-Winter Recess :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment