A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Friday, February 24, 2012

Attitude Activities and More

The transition out of mid-winter recess and back into the groove of school is not easy for anybody. On top of that, the schedule situation that many teachers at my school have to deal with because of the "hazing assemblies" makes the return even more dreadful.

For my classes that are one (or even two) period/s ahead, I have been looking up some attitude activities to share. Attitude and character are things I really try to stress in my classroom. I believe these are fundamentals for achieving success in school. However, I have not been helping my students develop their characters. These activities below might help them really understand what it means to have a good attitude.  These include teamwork simulations, discussions on teen issues, personality, conflict resolution, etc.

I found a couple of really good activities and lesson ideas here:

http://character-education.info/resources/lesson_plans_curriculum.htm(values we wish every middle schooler had...)

http://lessons.atozteacherstuff.com/76/teamwork/ (this is too young for my students, but I can do something similar!)

http://www.oakharborcheer.com/TeamBuildingGames.html (really good teamwork activities!)

I'm also considering watching an inspirational movie sometime this quarter. This quarter will be very stressed due to prep for the NYS and the growing intensity of the pre-algebra curriculum as we prepare our students for the NYS & Integrated Algbera. But we have to have some free time right?? ;)

I'm really hoping these attitude activities will appeal to my students. They look like a lot of fun and will teach them the skills and traits necessary to be good citizens and good people.

Teachers, have you ever done any attitude activities with your students? How did it go?

It's also (almost) report card time! Grade analysis for 2nd quarter...

Total # of students: 160
A's: 75
B's: 60
C's: 20
D's: 5 (guess who?! The 4 Gangstas and James...)
F's: noneeeee!

Overall, I'm pleased with the way this quarter has gone. My students are learning a lot, and they're showing it with their grades.

Here's to a great third quarter! Hopefully some of the parents will show up on the 28th (a half day of school!) to the parent-teacher conference. That will be a GREAT present for my 22nd birthday! (yesterday...) :)

P.S. look at this new song I discovered! Reminds me of songs from when I was in middle school :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCPgK_8rlU

No comments:

Post a Comment