A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Monday, March 12, 2012

Seeing the difference we make

I've taken a big long break from blogging since the beginning of this month. I have had a really long week with a mixture of problems with new students, IEP complications, helping students go through tough times and department meetings.

But between all this business, I have experienced something so rewarding that it's almost impossible to put into words: seeing firsthand (on three different accounts!) the effect of my teaching and my impact on my students.

One example I saw earlier this month:

Jose and Pas'Qual (my new student) are in the same study hall. Pas'Qual was starting to get frustrated with his math homework to the point where it was borderline violent. The study hall monitor was right about to call for security when Jose, one of my 3rd period students, walked over to Pas'Qual and calmed him down. He then went on to help Pas'Qual with his homework. Thus, Jose applied one of the strategies we discussed in class to help resolve a potentially dangerous situation.

My students are getting a lot more energetic and talkative as the weather is getting sunnier and warmer. It's been a nice winter and is spring is basically already here. I'm a little bit worried that their behavior will get progressively more difficult as April and May roll along, and by June, their attitude would completely deteriorate. But for right now, my classes are still going strong. The rapport between my students and I have only gotten stronger since the end of February. I guess parent-teacher conferences can have an impact! Hopefully, my influence can inspire my kids to keep on working hard the rest of the year... so far it has! :)

Recently, I paired up my students based on results on an inequalities exit slip. The exit slip was given at the end of day 2 on the topic. I was SHOCKED at the results - about 1/3 of the class got a 10/10. At the same time, 1/3 of the class missed all 3 problems and scored a 3/10. I was using the same lesson plan from my student teaching days, including that same exit slip. When I was student teaching (at a middle school literally 5 minutes away by subway), almost all of the students got a 8, 9 or 10/10. So I paired up students the next day to have the "stronger" students help the students that struggled on the exit slip. What I came out with was cooperative learning, helpful attitudes and new strategies that my kids had developed or adapted themselves from the strategies we discussed in class.

Written from Central Park on this AMAZING day in New York, Mr. Yang could not be having a better first year. And since I student taught this SAME class 2nd semester in student teaching last year, I don't even have to stay up that late with lesson planning... I already have the bulk of it done!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment