A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Monday, February 13, 2012

Pre-Algebra, will you be my valentine?

Middle schoolers (actually, 14 year olds...I was a sophomore when I was 14!) say the cutest things.

Today I observed one of my students in my first period class had a Cupid valentine with the words "PRE-ALGEBRA" written on it.

Me: "Valeria, I see you have a very nice Valentine's card there."
Valeria: "Yes, Mr. Yang! It's for my "Pre-Algebra"?"
Me: "Wow! And why do you like Pre-Algebra so much?" ;)
Valeria: "Because it's my favorite class! It's so fun and I love my group! We learn a lot in this class!"

At this point, I seriously wanted to recommend Valeria for International Student of the Year. No, it doesn't really exist, but I'm going to MAKE IT exist after this conversation.

Who will my valentine be tomorrow? Well, I'm single (and loving it!), and this may sound very cheesy, but...
  • MY STUDENTS! - they inspire me so much every day. It is an honor to teach them... every. single. one. of. them. I couldn't ask for a more rewarding set of classes.
  • MY FRIENDS! - without them, I would be nowhere. They have supported me countless times, and hopefully I have supported them too! :)
  • MY COLLEAGUES (AND COOPERATING TEACHERS)! - they have helped make me the teacher - and the professional - I am today. Without them, valentines with the words "PRE-ALGEBRA" on them will not exist in my classroom.
  • MY FAMILY!- I love you all! Thank you for everything. <3
And some closing thoughts.
* RIP Whitney Houston - I grew up (and still do!) listening to your music. You are an inspiration to my students, to me and to countless people around the world. Your legacy will remain in our hearts forever.
*Jeremy Lin - Wow. Just wow. Way to represent New York!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment