A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Umm, you live in New York... and you've never shopped in Times Square before?!

I was completely shocked today.

As most of you already know, I teach middle school math in The Bronx, New York. That's New York City! So, in my mind, I kind of expected that my students have a pretty good knowledge of some of the main areas of the city - outside of the Bronx, but not too far out of reach. Places like Times Square, Central Park, Greenwich Village, the UES, Harlem, etc. Places I constantly go to, even considering my busy schedule. Appearently, however, many of my students have never stepped outside of the Bronx to experience some of these places. And, let me remind you, these places are LITERALLY a 15-30 minute subway ride away. And they get free subway Metro cards from the school...

I'm sure it's safe to expect that your city students have been to some of the most intriguing, interesting, diverse and exciting places in the city. Nope! I feel really bad for them though. Some of my students can be really inspired by what's going on in other parts/neighborhoods/areas of the city, and by some of the tourist attractions that native New Yorkers (like me) still go to (the museums, etc.).

But, this can change this year! Our administration is offering to any student earning a "3" or "4" on the ELA and Math NYS exams a "day out in the city" - for only $20. Some of them will finally be able to see the light!

I'm thinking for homework this weekend... go and experience New York City like never before! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment