A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Thursday, May 31, 2012

One of the fruits of teaching!

They say that being a teacher is one of the most rewarding jobs there is. That's why I became one.

As if I wasn't completely in love with my schedule, colleagues, subject, administration and my students this year, I was able to realize to even greater depths how much I love teaching, my job and my students.

On Monday, my students took a test over the probability unit we finished last week. Overall the test grades were very good. However, Ramon, a student in my 1st period class did not do so hot on the test. Although I communicated to my classes in the beginning of the year that they are allowed to retake any unit test to improve their grade, most of my students never really took advantage of that. Some didn't really need to take advantage of that... and some just really didn't care all too much about getting a 78% on a unit test (one of my students even told me that a 78 was the highest grade she'd ever gotten on a test before). However, what really brightened my day Wednesday was when, after we went over the test in class, Ramon took the initiative to come to me and ask to do the retake test.

Three periods later, when I was doing my study hall duty and Ramon was in the big study hall, he got together with three students from my afternoon classes to help him review and study for the retake test.  The four of them really made a good study team. I observed them helping Ramon, quizzing him for the test, encouraging him, etc. It was really an amazing sight that truly defines the character and dynamic of my students.

To be honest, I was kind of scared when I first began teaching at my school. My students live in the South Bronx, the school has a 85% poverty rate, some of the students had a history of underachievement and behavior problems... the list goes on and on. But now that I'm basically at the end of the school year, I see that I made the right decision. Teaching is that rewarding job I was looking for and finally found. I know that I am making a difference in my students' lives. My students trust me to give them good advice. My students are amazing and have made my first year of teaching a success!

Today, Ramon took his retake test before school. I graded the test during my prep... and Ramon got an A! Not a low A... but a 96%!

Which brings me to one of the "fruits" of teaching... seeing students grow, improve and reach their potential. This isn't something I can get anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment