A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Monday, April 30, 2012

AND... THE NYS MATH TEST IS OVER!!!!

Today, on the last day of testing, I had my students write down on a slip of paper what they thought of the NYS, if they felt prepared or not, if they retained the material from this year/last year and could apply it to the problems, if the review project/activity helped, etc.

Here is my analysis of the feedback:
  • Most students said that they either felt "prepared" or "very prepared" for the questions and the material on the NYS exam.
  • Almost all students said that I taught the concepts and curriculum very well this year, and that my teaching methods helped them better understand what the concepts they were learning.
  • Most students said that we practiced applying our knowledge to real life and word problems a "fair amount". Goal for next year: make application more of a focus to get the kids more exposed to the types of problems they'll be solving with the concepts they learned.
  • Almost all students said that the activity we did in the two weeks leading up to the test was very helpful. This is definitely an activity I will do next year with my students.
I am extremely BEYOND proud of my students this year! All of them (Yes, even James!) have put in so much effort this year. My students did well on the practice exams and have exponentially improved their extended response skills. For some of them, this will be the first 3 or first 4 they have ever earned on a NYS exam. It's amazing to look back at the beginning of the year and see the tremendous growth that all of them have achieved. 

Guess hard work really does pay off!

**MR. YANG'S 2011-2012 class -- thank you!!!! ** :)

No comments:

Post a Comment