A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Too busy for a real update - but side stories!

We're half way through April! It's so close to the end of the school year already... :(

I'm really busy right now, so I don't have time for a real update. But, I do have some observations/stories!

1. Meeting an old student...
Appearently one of my students from when I was a long term sub at a high school in Manhattan found where I lived and came to visit the townhouse where I live with my roommates during spring break. One of my roomies almost called the police on him but I was able to recognize him before that happened... so that's good. We started talking and he explained that the teacher I was a long term sub for (who was waiting on a trial for sexual harrassment charges) was acquitted and allowed back in the school. But he and a couple friends were able to present some evidence that caused him to actually be put back on investigation. I really admired that sense of leadership and desire to do what's right for the common good. He's a junior now, and is going through a lot of stress with jump-starting the college application process. But, on the bright side, I'm starting to brainstorm for my FIRST rec letter as a teacher!! He will actually be in my classroom towards the end of the year to volunteer to earn his school-required volunteering hours.

2. My middle schoolers know a lot more about technology than me

3. My principal had a pre-conference with all teachers to "pre-discuss" our subject assignments for next year. I'm most likely staying at my current school. (It's actually a great school, with good students, professional colleagues and a effective administration. :)) She suggested to me that I will be staying in 8th grade, but only for 3 or 4 periods and 7th grade for 1 or 2 (respectively). I might also get a CTT classroom next year too. (I think it would be interesting to have a teaching partner!)

Thank you to all my loyal readers. I will try and blog more but teaching's getting much more intense right now. But in May through June, it will get a lot better, I promise! Have a great Wednesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment