A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meet The Teacher

Welcome to my new blog!! I've been spending most of this year reading some AMAZING blogs from current New York City teachers, getting the feel for their experiences as a teacher in New York. Well, now I decided it's time for me to start my own collection of memories, blog posts, stories from MY experience teaching. Wow, it's going to be so exciting to see all my antics and my development as a teacher a few years from now... I could just imagine! 

Well, so far, I am LOVING teaching!! I teach 8th grade mathematics (we called it Pre-Algebra when I was in middle school) at a middle school in the South Bronx. I have two colleagues that teach 8th grade math at my school as well. One is a fourth year teacher and another is a twenty second year teacher. Well, I can probably already foresee one of the biggest blog topics I will be writing about this year... the twenty-second year teacher. But I'll write more juicyyy details about that later. :) I have 30-32 students in each one of my five classes. It has been such a rewarding experience working with them so far this year. They are extremely bright, but are facing some very difficult home lives and going through some tough changes. My students are approximately 80% Hispanic, which gives me sort of an advantage, considering I was a Spanish minor at NYU and went to a high school in Queens that was around 40% Hispanic, so I understand their culture and circumstances better than if I didn't have these experiences. Each one of them has their own unique personality that they bring to the classroom. My students and I have formed a very close bond and have developed great rapport over the last few weeks. Sure, we've had some challenging days, and we've had some REALLY challenging days, especially in the beginning of the year, but somehow we managed to work it out. It warms my heart so much that I'm having a relatively successful first year. My students are learning every day. My students inspire and surprise me with their eagerness and energy. I'm getting along with the administration (for now, at least...). I've actually made some teacher friends. And best of all, I'm living my dream. 

Okay, so now you may be thinking "This little 21 year old is wayy out of control and extremely idealistic" or "This person definitely has not seen nor experienced the real NYC DOE" or "Is this some joke?!" Well, don't judge yet. Let me take you through my history of deciding to teach. I haven't always wanted to be a New York City public school teacher, but was influenced along the way. I was a senior in high school when the Michelle Rhee "boom" started to burst. I was a freshman in college when the "broom article" hit Time Magazine. From then, I knew that closing the achievement gap and ensuring that poorer, underprivileged students in the inner city are given the opportunities and support to succeed in the world was of utmost importance to me. Then came September of sophomore year in college. I chose my major - mathematics education and stuck with it.The real test came during student teaching senior year. We were required to do two semesters - one semester in a high school and one semester in a middle school. I had two SUPER AMAZING cooperating teachers at these schools, and, with their help, came to survive & actually thrive in both student teaching settings. The principal at the middle school where I student taught even offered me a job to serve as a long term sub for a pregnant teacher for just a little more than one month, working with my cooperating teacher. How amazing is that?! Fast forward a  summer break and I'm teaching in New York!!! 

In my blog, not only will I be detailing my many adventures as a middle school math teacher, I also hope to show future teachers and my readers the outside life of a teacher, including roommates, professional development, social life, etc. 


Also, as common policy among teacher bloggers, I will NEVER refer to any students, colleagues, administrators, parents, friends, etc that I talk about on this blog by their real name.

Thank you for reading my first blog post ever! Please come back shortly for more! :)

P.S. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment whenever you feel necessary. I can use all the help, advice, words of encouragement, etc you have to offer! Also, for any prospective teachers wanting to know more about my experiences, please do not hesitate to ask!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're really enthusisastic to be a teacher! Enjoy your first year as a teacher. NYC teachers are amazing for all the work they put in to helping the kids of NYC. Thanks for all you do and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words and for writing! You're absolutely right, most NYC teachers work day in and day out to do what's right for our students, and see the rewards grow exponentially. I am so glad I'm teaching in New York! :) Are you a teacher too?

    ReplyDelete