A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Friday, January 6, 2012

Livin' The Life in the Big Apple

I'm going to be upfront this time...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE living in New York!

Being able to witness the culture, experience the anemities, taste all the different foods and just walk around the city is one of the best experiences of my life. I NEVER want to leave New York (unless forced to by a marriage... should love of New York be a criteria for who I marry? hmmm...). My roommates and I go on "New York sprees" every weekend where we try and hit a different neighborhood or cultural event each weekend. And even after living in New York for 21.5 years (aka my entire life to date), I still haven't seen it all.


However, most Americans (actually, most people in the world) are aware the New York is SUPERRR  expensive. I recently read an article that a dollar at standard cost of living would only be worth 76 cents in New York at standard cost of living.


A first year teacher in NY with a BS or BA in education or Teach for America corps member can only expect to earn a little bit over $45,500. If they teach in a Title I school (which most do), they are eligible to earn $3,400 extra, bringing the total to $48,900. Most first years, including myself, do extra work on the side - I tutor adults or drop outs so they can earn their GED. I've estimated I can make $5,000 a year by doing this. Some of my friends are waiters, teach night school, tutor middle/high school students, are bartenders, babysit, etc.


To make a long story short... New York is difficult (and that's kinda pushing it...) for first year teachers, and in general, for most of the working & middle class.


Ever wonder what a first year teacher's budget is? Here's mine! (it's just a rough outline though.)


Income: $4,333/month


Rent - $700.00 (four bedroom house share in Queens, with 3 roommates all in their early-late 20's; expect to share your first few years teaching)
Food- $400.00 (needless to say, groceries and eating out are very expensive here!)
Transportation- $104.00 (subway monthly unlimited card - a lifesaver if you're out to enjoy New York! I generally never take cabs unless it's a dire emergency)
Entertainment- $700.00
College loans- $375.00 (what can I say... NYU gives you a HEAVY student loan burden!)
Health- $125.00
Misc.- $1,500.00 (lots of unexpected expenses, splurges and plus many things are unaccounted for in my budget...)
Savings- $428.00 (roughly 10% is the rule in New York)


There you have it, everybody!


Happy Friday to all the teachers - enjoy your weekend!!! I know I will :) (right after I grade those quizzes and plan next week's lessons...)

No comments:

Post a Comment