A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Friday, January 20, 2012

In-school suspensions are always great for teachers

James was put in in-school suspension today. 


Needless to say, I was SOOOO happy when I heard that in the teacher's lounge this morning before homeroom. I would get one Friday off without having to deal with James Patterson. Ohhh, how my life would've been amazing without James. 


First period today went great. Despite my excitement about how great second period could be today not that James isn't in for the day, I started feeling nervous and worried right when the bell rang for the first-second period class change. I had 3 minutes to prep myself my hardest class of the day, with James or without James. 


The first few minutes of second period were tense. The "Four Gangstas" were acting up more than usual when they found out what the principal and discipline AP did to James... and it started spreading to my entire class. I felt the need to go get Miss Gonzalez next door to help me calm things down, but all of the sudden, everything stopped. The Four Gangstas realized that without James, their group of five can't be as effective at running amuck in my classroom. 


Boy, was I surprised! My second period actually went pretty successfully. There were basically no interruptions to the lesson or any of the activities today, and the scores of the Four Gangstas on today's exit quiz were pretty positive (a "B" average! I should buy them something to celebrate!!). 


Just goes to show that in school suspensions are ALWAYS great for teachers who need that break on a Friday morning! :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment