A Day in the Life of a First-Year Teacher

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

When your teacher sweats, you know something is up

I can't take this weather anymore. Ughhhh I really can't! I spent half the day - in my classroom - sweating during my lessons. The air conditioning is working on and off and is unreliable at my school right now. And even with the fans blasting cool air in my classroom, and the door wide open, it is still extremely hot in there. The sweating became uncontrollable and visible to my students and it was utterly ridiculous - both how I felt and how much the heat got in the way of my teaching. The students got more and more restless as the day went on, and by the afternoon, they basically refused to participate in our classroom activity. Not that I could blame them, because it's almost impossible to concentrate in that room.

With sweaty teachers (no, it was not just me, the majority of teachers at our school were sweating!) and restless students, not too much learning got done today. And tomorrow's going to be EVEN WORSE. (Yeah, I know, it can get worse from here???) But I'm gearing up for the fight. I've refrigerated three water bottles in the mini-fridge in my classroom for my personal use tomorrow. I have towels ready and paper towels for my students. As a reward for the kids, I have popsicle sticks (!) for them too.

I'm going to redo the lesson from today for tomorrow. It's very important, because my students are gearing up for their exit exam from 8th grade Math and preparing for Integrated Algebra next year.

Goal for tomorrow: keep sweating to a minimum, keep students on task, reward students for being on task and find a way for all of us to cope with the heat. Let's try getting done at least the first three of those goals. :)

Ahh... I can't believe the year is almost over and SUMMER offically began today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment